Tugas ( Simple past tense )
How do we make the Simple Past Tense?
To make the simple past tense, we use:
- predicate in the past form is only “( Verb-2 / verb – ed )”
- In negative and question sentence we use auxiliary ” did”
Here you can see examples of the past form and base form for irregular verbs and regular verbs:
|The past form for all regular verbs ends in -ed.|
|The past form for irregular verbs is variable. You need to learn it by heart.|
|You do not need the past participle form to make the simple past tense. It is shown here for completeness only.|
The structure for positive sentences in the simple past tense is:
|Subject + Verb-2 + object / adverb|
The structure for negative sentences in the simple past tense is:
|subject||+||did||+||not||+||Verb-1 + object / adverb|
The structure for question sentences in the simple past tense is:
- 1. Interogative sentence
Did + subject + Verb-1 + object / adverb
- 2. WH question
- a. Who + Verb-2 + object / adverb + ?
- b. What + did + subject + verb-1 + adverb + ?
- c. Where + did + subject + verb-1 + object + ?
- d. When + did + subject + verb-1 + object + ?
- e. How + did + subject + verb-1 + object + ?
Look at these examples with the main verbs go and work:
|Subject||auxiliary verb||main verb|
Exception! The verb to be is different. We conjugate the verb to be (I was, you were, he/she/it was, we were, they were); and we do not use an auxiliary for negative and question sentences. To make a question, we exchange the subject and verb. Look at these examples:
|You, we, they||were||in London.|
|You, we, they||were||not||happy.|
|Were||you, we, they||late?|
Change the verbs in the following sentence into past tense.
- 1. Yesterday, I go to the restaurant with a client.
Yesterday, I went to the restaurant with a client.
2. We drive around the parking lot for 20 minutes in order to find a parking space.
3. When we arrive at the restaurant, the place is full.
4. The waitress asks us if we have reservations.
5. I say, “No, my secretary forgets to make them.”
6. The waitress tells us to come back in two hours.
7. My client and I slowly walk back to the car.
8. Then we see a small grocery store.
9. We stop in the grocery store and buy some sandwiches.
10. That is better than waiting for two hours.
Correct the mistakes in the following sentences:
1. Last night, Samantha have pizza for supper.
2. My pet lizard die last month.
3. Yesterday I spend two hours cleaning my living room.
4. This morning before coming to class, Jack eats two bowls of cereal.
5. What happen to your leg?
- Posted in: Tugas kelas VIII